Scan report showed fetal pole was "irregular shaped". What does this mean?

Mar 2016

I just went for an early scan as I had had some light bleeding. As I have an irregular cycle, I am estimating myself to be around 6.5 weeks pregnant although it's been 8 weeks since my last period. When I went in two weeks ago there was a yolk sac and no fetal pole yet. When I went in yesterday they saw a fetal pole but no heartbeat yet. They also reported that the fetal pole was "irregular shaped". What does this mean? Should I be preparing myself for the worst? Thank you
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DO ONE SCAN AFTER 1 WEEK FOR CONFIRMATION. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on healthcare magic. Followings are my comments: 1) Abdominal ultrasound scan can detect fetal heart beat and pole around 7 to 8 weeks. However, Trans Vaginal Ultrasound (TVS) scan reveals the same finding around 5 to 6 weeks. If you have undergone abdominal scan lastly, then you have to repeat the scan after 1 week to get detailed picture on fetal profile. Sometimes, late conception may be the cause of delayed detection of fetal heart beat. 2) Fetal pole "irregular shaped" means that it is not well formed or developed. If you do not get any fetal heart beat on next scan, then it may lead to MISSED MISCARRIAGE. It is more relevant in this context. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist regarding this and you should prepare for this mentally. Until next scan, you must continue folic acid supplements. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Scan report showed fetal pole was "irregular shaped". What does this mean? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Just to confirm, the scan I was given was a trans vaginal scan, therefore should a heartbeat have been detected? And are you saying that an "irregular shape" is the same as it being not well formed? Could this lead to a healthy pregnancy or is it likely to be a miscarriage ? I am due to have a scan in one week, thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. 1) On TVS scan, fetal heart beat must be seen around 5 to 6 weeks and in late conception around 7 weeks (max). In your case, it is not a normal finding. But, I suggest to repeat the scan after 1 week before undergoing abortion. 2) "Irregular shape" of fetal pole is usually seen in very early stage and it is due to not well formed properly. It is not regarded as indicator of healthy pregnancy. Fetal heart beat is the main indicator of healthy conception. If fetal heart beat is not detected on next scan, then it suggests MISSED ABORTION. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best. Good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen