Scaly skin rashes on forehead. Skin infection?

Dermatologist
Question
Got some skin infection, it started from forhead left hand side and itching. No medication taken yet. Need suggestion
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 37 minutes later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

I would like to have more details regarding your problem.If you can answer few of my queries I would be able to answer you better.
1) How long you have been having this?
2) What kind of rash you have ? Does is look like some water filled bubbles or is it red and scaly ?
3) Do you experience any pain over the lesion?
4) Have you used any new cream or lotion before you had developed this lesion?
5) Did it appear all of a sudden or was the onset very gradual?
6)Do you recall any insect biting you over the lesion?

In-fact a close up picture of the lesion would help me further.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be few possibilities.

There is a possibility that it is a fungal infection since it is on one side of the face and is itchy.
The second possibility could be of a allergic reaction and third possibility of a insect bite reaction (if it has happened all of a sudden).

A fungal infection would require an anti-fungal medication ,while a reaction would require a mild steroid cream.

So if you can please answer my questions and post a picture of the lesion ,I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Scaly skin rashes on forehead. Skin infection? 24 minutes later

1) How long you have been having this?
It started 6-7 years back first and then at times it got evolved 2-3 times.
It is scaly..with rough feeling when touched.
No
yes normal boroline like after shaving.
Gradually started from one spot to another.
No but mosquito can not be ruled out.

yesterday night I'd applied Neosporine on affected part and got it reduced to some extent. Also took "Safi" yesterday night and today morning. There is some relief now and affected areas seem to be reduced.
Rgds.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 6 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for the reply,

According to your reply,it seems you are having a recurring fungal infection.In such cases we usually see a red scaly rash associated with itching.

I would suggest you to use a anti-fungal cream like candid cream or ketoconazole cream over the lesion and observe.If needed you can even take an oral anti-fungal tablet like fluconazole.This would give you a faster result.

But a picture of the lesions would have further helped in the diagnosis.

Perhaps a visit to competent dermatologist can also confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.