Scalp is sensitive to touch. Feeling dizzy and swollen ear. MRI and CAT scan normal. Worrisome

ENT Specialist
My scalp is sensitive to touch. I can get dizzy by touching it. At times, the veins above my left ear feel swollen. This is worse at the end of the day and subsides overnight. Numerous mri's, cat scans etc., are normal.
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. This seems to be one of the following:
a. Trigeminal Neuralgia. The scalp is innervated by branches from two main sources: The Trigeminal Nerve and Cervical Spinal Nerves (C2) Division. Sometimes it is atypical.
b. Temporal Arteritis (Giant Cell Arteritis or Horton's Disease) and sometimes accompanied by Polymyalgia Rheumatica.
c. Referred pain after dental procedures, sinus infections or a nerve demyelination syndrome.

2. Reassess your CT and MRI Scans for lesions involving the pathway of these nerves. If they are still reported normal, it is good and a trial of medication may be taken. A biopsy may be required if Temporal Arteritis is suspected.

3. Dizziness may be explained by the compression of the Cervical spinal nerves causing spasm or tightness of the neck muscles.

4. Common specific anti-neuralgia drugs are Amytriptyline, Carbamazepine and Gabapentin. These should be tried only under medical supervision. there are other medications and procedures such a rhizotomy by alcohol injection, gamma knife or radio-frequency ablation.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry. Discuss this with your physicians.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further queries, I will be available to answer them.