Scalp has become very itchy. Not cured by medicines. Any alternate suggestion?

I have noticed that my scalp has become very itchy. especially behind my ears. I have tried over the counter medications and nothing seems to give me relief. Any suggestions. I have practically scratched my scalp raw in some places. It is driving my crazy.
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding your symptoms.

Irritation and itching of the scalp is a very common problem. For some patients such as yourself it can become more severe. There are a couple of things which could cause this to be persistent. One consideration is psoriasis. If you have a history of psoriasis this can sometimes caused issues with scalp itching

Another possible cause is seborrheic dermatitis. This is sometimes very well treated with ketoconazole shampoo. You can obtain this over-the-counter at the pharmacy or possibly by a prescription from your primary care doctor.

A good trial of this type of shampoo for a few months showed to generally get this type of thing under good control.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert