Scalp dryness, itching and flaking. Taking Benicar for hypertension. Taken Flucoininide. Advice?

G'day. I'm a 64-year-old healthy male who has NEVER experienced any kind of dry scalp or dandruff in my life. Now experiencing intense scalp dryness and itching, extensive flaking WITHIN AREAS WHERE HAIR exists...but no problem of any kind on top of head, which is largely itching, no dandruff. No other skin issues at all anywhere else on my body. My only med is Benicar 20 mg for hypertension, well-controlled, medication begun about 5 months ago. Issue now affecting quality of life, unfortunately. Ophthalmologist noted dryness at eyebrow line and some dryness on eyelids. Short course of Fluocininide.05% knocked the eye and brow issue down right away, only to begin to return when topical med was discontinued. Status unchanged as of this writing. Advice much thanks in advance. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Also I would like to know-

Is Itching present on other part of body(upper chest/behind ear/ face)?

Is there scaling at the scalp and other areas?

Can you upload good photos of affected skin ( if there are any visible lesions)

have you applied anything over the area?

please answer the above questions to help you better.

Upload your photos Using UPLOAD YOU PHOTOS section on right side of the box.

Till then you can take tab.zyrtec twice daily for itching.

Anticipating your reply.

Follow-up: Scalp dryness, itching and flaking. Taking Benicar for hypertension. Taken Flucoininide. Advice? 17 hours later
Thank you. As a matter of fact, I have noticed that the area behind my ears is itchy, and an area on my forehead across the brow above the eyelid region, as well as a small area in the central section of my eyelids that becomes dry and begin to itch as part of this situation. The only scaling exists at the scalp, and I define scaling as dandruff, which I have never had before...until this began several weeks ago. There are no lesions, and there are no plaques or elevated areas. During a visit with my ophthalmologist two weeks ago, he noticed the eyelid issue and gave me a script for Fluocininide .05%, which I applied to forehead and eyelids, as directed. The cream worked immediately...irritation disappeared, skin softness returned. I stopped the meds, and it took about a week for the irritation to re-appear. I do not take, and have not taken, any other medication for this. I keep my hair and body clean with daily showers, which provide hours of relief for my scalp, but the dryness returns. After every shampoo with a high-quality ginger-based shampoo product, my scalp is free of dandruff, essentially pristine once again for hours--until dryness sets in over time. ONE LAST POINT, WHICH PRE-DATES THIS CONCERN. You mention the upper chest or torso. I must state that, for many many years, I have had an intermittent and recurring itchy area directly in the center of the chest, which in years past has emerged during summer weather. It is present now, and has been for some time. No lesion or elevated area, just a pinkish section directly in the center, over the sternum, which was never accompanied by any other skin or scalp issue. I treat it through regular hygiene and applying powder to keep the area dry, since it has always seemed to be related to basic oil on the skin. I have no means of providing a photo via the internet, but I think you can envision what I describe here. I thank you once again for your diligence on my behalf. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later

Thanks for details you have given.

You can upload your photos through UPLOAD YOUR REPORTS

also you can mail me your photos at -

from the description you have provided it appears that you have
seborrheic dermatitis.

It is a type of endogenous eczema.

It can be treated with steroid lotion.
An course of oral antifungal will be helpful.
Dont use very hot water for bathing lukewarm water is to be used.
Maintain warm temperature.too hot or cold temp can increase the

Please send the images to give more specific advise.

Follow-up: Scalp dryness, itching and flaking. Taking Benicar for hypertension. Taken Flucoininide. Advice? 26 minutes later
It seems you have gotten to the heart of the issue. Unfortunately, I have no photos to upload for you. I'm interested in the underlying cause of such a skin disorder. I've never been exposed to any fungal sources, to my knowledge. But your definition says endogenous, so it might be an XXXXXXX trigger. My thanks for your effort and suggestions. All the best.. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 12 hours later

If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.