Scalp covered with hard crusty patches. No itching. Noticed sticky liquid. Noticed swollen lumps. Treatment?

My scalp has become covered in hard crusty patches in the last two weeks. There are patches along the hairline, neckline and middle of my head. Its not really itchy but alot of the time I can't help but pick at them anyhow(gross I know). When I remove the scabs a clear sticky liquid comes out. Its so gross. I also noticed three lumps on my head and neck that have since gone down. The one my head was really hard an unmoveable like a deformity on my skull. The other two lumps were like swollen balls on either side of my neck. The lumps have gone down considerably in the last day or two. Can someone tell me what is wrong and what I should do to treat? Thanks
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Scalp psoriasis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience and description you have given, you most likely have scalp psoriasis
You need to use shampoo containing tar and acetylsalicylic acid, ointment containing steroid after you have washed your hair with shampoo.

In addition I usually prescribe anti fungal like ketoconazole because some scalp psoriasis can be co infected with fungi.

I recommend you see dermatologist for skin tests to confirm the above diagnosis, to rule out other closely related conditions like seborrheic dermatitis of scalp and further management.