Scab oozing pus, treated with peroxide and stuffed gauze. Was wondering what it is and cause.

Question
I had a scab oozing puss so I pushed on it softly and I felt an indent. I peeled the scab back a bit and I saw a hole.
I preceded to completely remove the scab to reveal a 1/4 inch round abcess. I noticed a rotting smell as well. I flushed the hole with peroxide and stuffed gauze in the hole and left a 1 inch tail to drain. Was wondering what it is and cause?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You had a skin abscess which is around 1/4 inch round. Though it is good that you have cleaned and drained the abscess with antiseptic solution, I would have been happier if you had done this under medical guidance.

Skin abscesses are normally caused due to inflammatory reaction to an infection like bacteria or parasite. It can also occur due to foreign substance within the body (a needle or a splinter, for example). Abscesses may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Since the abscess is small and less than ½ inch, you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily. And once the area is completely drained you can apply a bandage over the packing.

If the surrounding area has any surrounding skin infection then you will need to get antibiotics prescribed by a Physician. And also check your blood sugars. People with high blood sugars are prone to develop abscess.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Scab oozing pus, treated with peroxide and stuffed gauze. Was wondering what it is and cause. 7 hours later
Please advise if I should be on antibiotics! If so can you prescribe them to me?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Radhika 11 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

If there is any pus formation now with infection of the surrounding skin, it is better to start on antibiotics.

I am sorry I cannot prescribe antibiotics in this forum as they are prescription drugs and you would need to be examined by your physician before he/she can prescribe them.