Scab on shin not coming off, ankle swelling. Any ideas? Husband has alcohol withdrawal seizure.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a scab on my XXXXXXX from a wipe out doing up stairs. I've had it for about 2-3 weeks. I had it covered for the first week and a half and now for about a week I've had it uncovered. Not there is puss coming out of it, but the scab still is not ready to come off so I don't want to peel it! Any ideas? I keep putting Neosporin on it, but my ankle has been swelling up so now I'm getting worried.

Second question, my husband had an alcohol withdrawal seizure in XXXXXXX of 2011. To this day, his balance is very shaky and his gait is very unsteady. Is this normal - he has no health insurance as he lost his job as a heavy equipment operator.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
A slow healing superficial wound in the leg with ankle swelling indicates a poor blood supply to the injured skin. The cause of swelling in the ankles could vary from cardiac problem, hypertension, renal problem to vascular problem in the legs.
Proper investigations like blood tests, ECG, renal function tests, doppler of lower limbs are needed to find out the cause.
Regarding the scab not coming off, do not try to remove it forcefully. You can apply vaseline on it to make it soft. Do an open dressing. It will gradually come off on its own. As long as there is no pus there is nothing to worry.
Having shaky and unsteady gait after a seizure indicates cerebral ischaemia and damage. I would advise you to consult with your neurologist. He would be the best person to guide further diagnostic workup and treatment.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.