Scab in nostrils, joint pain, floaters in eyes, severe rib pain, tiredness, constipation. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 46 yr old Caucasian female. 5'6" & 170 lbs. Carrying about 20 extra lbs because I had my 2nd baby 3 years ago and haven't lost the weight yet. About 6 months ago I stopped breast feeding and my body went crazy. I have a yellow scab inside of my left nostril that won't go away. I have sudden onset of severe to moderate joint paint in my left hand in the knuckles of each joint. As of two weeks ago, I have noticed a dark grey spot floating in my left eye and my left hip ball-joint is so sore I can't sit cross-legged on the floor anymore. I also had a bout with SEVERE lower rib pain that woke me up when sleeping but that only came twice, about a month ago and hasn't come back since. (I almost went to the hospital with that pain.) I am extremely tired and can sleep anytime, anywhere. (I can't watch a movie because I will fall asleep.)
The right side of my body seems fine. I have also experienced constipation lately which I've never had in my life. In fact, I've never had any type of pain like this before and feel like a fool for complaining.
Why am I picking my left nostril, have a weak and sore left body and feel so tired?
I drink moderately and don't do drugs.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The symptoms that you have described are likely to be due to a vitamin D 3 deficiency. Other causes include-
1. Generalized viral illness.
2. Improper diet.
3. Abnormal body posture, muscle overuse.
4. Electrolyte imbalance.
5. Hormonal disbalance like hypothyroidism.
5. Anxiety neurosis.

All these possibilities need to be ruled out after a proper physical examination and related blood tests.
Till the time you get evaluated for these possibilities, there are some of the other lifestyle options which you can follow:

1) You can take a mild pain killer like paracetamol or ibuprofen for symptomatic relief. Taking a well balanced will be helpful.

2) Do not take caffeine or alcohol at night just before going to bed.

3) Indulge in yoga and meditation to calm your mind.

4) You can also indulge in progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.
The scab in the nose is likely to be due to a nasal dryness. You can apply local antiseptic cream or vaseline in the area and see if it improves.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.