Scab hanging from nostril, bleeds, attached and has constant mucus. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have what looks like a scab hanging from the inside of my nostril,it is attached and bleeds if i try to remove it i also have constant mucus dripping down the back of my throat and pain in the side and back of my neck
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Hello Ms. Woods,

The scab hanging from inside of the nostril is most likely a nasal polyp. This causes sinus congestion and chronically inflamed sinuses which produce large amounts of mucus. It drips down on the back of the throat (called post nasal drip) which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and lightheadedness.

You should get it checked from an ENT specialist and get transillumination (passing light through the sinuses) or Sinus X-rays or CAT scan of sinuses. Till you get these tests done, inhale plenty of steam.

Surgical removal of the polyp might be needed in case of severe symptoms.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.