Saw larger shards of glass/ crystalized sugar mixed in feces. What could it be ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I went to the bathroom today and wiped my butt and felt something weird. I looked and it looked like there were larger shards of glass/ shards of crystalized sugar mixed in with my feces and it was off color. I looked in the toilet and the whole thing looked like that with little pieces of something in it
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 minutes later

The stool in a healthy normal adult does contain fat crystal, but they are not evident to naked eye. This is a microscopic picture

If you have passed something that you feel are crystal, I would suggest a few things that you should observe:

1] The diet that you consumed the night before? [These could be undigested particles]

2] Is there any pain in abdomen?

3] Is there any pain while passing stool?

4] Did you have any blood along with the crystals?

5] Was the next motion normal or had the same crystals?

Get back to me with these observations and I will help you out

Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Saw larger shards of glass/ crystalized sugar mixed in feces. What could it be ? 11 hours later
Ok so it happened again today. There is no pain in my abdomen, no pain in passing it, doesn't seem to have any blood, and my diet is pretty normal as I usually eat a little something before I go to bed and just have little meals throughout the day
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 17 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
With the details that you have provided, it seems that they are just indigested food particles.
However, I would suggest that you get a stool examination done. We can discuss this further once we have the reports.
If you have any other complaints in the mean time, we can discuss it on this forum.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.