Save a swollen uvula and left ear plugged. Amoxicillin also not working. Why isn't it leaving?

I have a swollen uvala and my left ear is plugged. It has been this way for two weeks. I have already taken a dose of amoxicillin. Hasn't gone away
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 14 minutes later

You say you have a swollen uvula and your left ear is plugged since two weeks and not improved even after a course of amoxycillin.

There are three possibilities-
1. It may be allergic condition, since you have an allergic tendency,
2. A viral infection in which antibiotics do not work;
3. Bacterial infection that is resistant to amoxycillin.

You can take a good decongestant and anti cold preparation, along with an anti-allergic and gargle with alum or potassium permanganate (a little crystal in a cup of XXXXXXX warm water). In addition, you can also taking steam inhalation twice a day will also benefit you. This should clear you up in a week's time.
But if the ear remains feeling 'plugged' after a week, I would suggest you see an ENT specialist to rule out an ear infection.

Thanks for the query. Hope I have answered your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any other query.