Saphenous vein stripped, soreness, lump, lymph node, on amoxycillin. Serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 41, 170cm, 70kg. I live in Australia.
I had the greater saphenous vein in my left leg stripped 8 days ago. From groin to foot. It went well, no need for pain meds afterwards. I was not given antibiotics.
Today I did alot more activity (went back to work for 5 hours) than I have for the previous 6 days.
5 hours ago I noticed that area under the groin incision was sore. It is not swollen or red and isn't warmer than the other groin. There is an almond sized lump under the incision which is very tender.
I'm wondering if the lump/tenderness is likely to be from the activity (debris washed into lymph node after activity??) or is it an infection starting?
I happen to have amoxycillin 500mg at home and am wondering if this is an appropriate antibiotic to take if infection is likely. I'd really rather not drive to the hospital and wait etc..
I see the surgeon in 20 hours for the follow up visit.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 minutes later

There is less chance for infection after 8 days of surgery. Also signs of infection are not prevalent like increased redness, warmth at that site, no fever.

Not to worry. You may try to avoid much activity for a few weeks till it heals completely and the sutures are removed. Minimize strenous activity as much as possible till you see your Doctor.

You may apply cool compress at the site to relieve from the pain. You may keep your legs elevated over a pillow for a while to reduce the strain in the operated area.

Even if infected Tablet Amoxicillin is not appropriate for surgical infections. Since you intend to XXXXXXX the General Surgeon soon, it would be appropriate to fetch right antibiotic from him.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.