Salty taste in the mouth during an orgasm. Is it normal?

Question
I am a 20 year old petite female. My boyfriend and I have noticed that after I have an orgasm I have a salty taste in my mouth for about a minute. Why and how does this happen? What causes this?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 52 minutes later

A salty taste in mouth during orgasm can be due to

1. Taste of precum - if there was any prior oral intercourse.
2. Due to a change in the amount / chemical compositio. of saliva your body is producing during orgasm.
3. It can also be due to a salty taste in your mouth if either the concentration of salt in your saliva XXXXXXX above your usual amount of salt or your taste buds temporarily became more salt sensitive.
4. Dehydration, intake of alcohol and caffeine, sinus infection, having sex immediately after eating and acid reflux can also cause these symptoms.

Try avoiding consuming any food for atleast 1 hour before having sex.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Salty taste in the mouth during an orgasm. Is it normal? 3 hours later
There was no oral intercourse and this happens every time and I am not the only female this happens to. Could this be a normal symptom of orgasm that i never new about?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As mentioned earlier, it can be a normal response of the body also because there is a change in the chemical composition of saliva which your body is producing during orgasm. This may cause increase salty taste.

Regards.