Ask a Dentist   »  

Salty taste in mouth. History of bowel sensitivity, low kidney function. Low blood pressure. Due to ketosis?

Question
I have salty taste in mouth - tongue and lips. It is present all the time as if my tongue throat and lips have swallowed a salt shaker. Throat burns with the taste. Started 3 weeks ago, When I began to eat rice and almond butter after not eating grains for a year due to bowel sensitivities (no celiac).
Kidney functions low due to one kidney- urine creatinine clearance betwee 50-60, blood creatinine 1.1, urea 55, ENT checked throat and saw post nasal drip but could not confirm that the salty taste was from that. She suggested that I go off all supplements- I did but no change. Could there be a staph infection, or sensitivity to oxalates such as almonds which I eat allot of, or related to a low carb diet (Ketosis?)I have not been able to eat grains and recently began eating some rice when the salty mouth began. thyroid normal, no diabetes or heart disease.

I do not have heartburn or GERD, I have low blood pressure.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Jyoti Patil 22 hours later
Hi.

It is really difficult to diagnose taste and smell disorders, they are complex mechanisms. 80% of taste disorders are because of smell. The most common causes of primary deficits are poor oral hygiene, mouth disorders, dentures, nasal and/or sinus disease, prior viral upper respiratory infections (URIs), and head trauma. There are other secondary reasons too like nutritional deficiency, anxiety, etc.

Evaluation of taste disorders is not as well developed.

The doctor should examine, take thorough history and subject to specific tests like CT, Endoscopy to find out any primary disorder. Else he should rule out the secondary reasons too. Treating the smell problems and local problems prove helpful.

Reassurance is one of the most important aspects of treatment in these disorders because cures are often difficult to obtain and may take weeks, months, or years.

Your doctors advice to stop supplements are part of this reassurance. Checking for local infections like Sorethroat, sinusitis may prove helpful. Lack of one kidney or mild kidney dysfunction may not bother your smell and taste.

Hope I am partly helpful to you. I honor your follow ups if any.