Salt in Chinese food, tachycardia, pulse rate 150, BP under control

Oncologist
Question
Can salt cause tachycardia. I ate Chinese food on night and had Indian food the next. And I had a super attack of tachycardia.

I have another question. When should I consider going to the hospital. I had a pulse rate of 150 for about an hour before it finally went down to 90 and that lasted for 30 minutes, finally getting to something like normal. My normal pulse rate is 63 and I take a lot of meds to keep my blood pressure close to normal,
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later

There are many things which can contribute to a tachycardia. It is conceivable that some foods that are particularly high in sodium content may trigger a tachycardia. What these foods do essentially is to cause your body to hold on to excess amounts of water. This makes your heart have to work harder in order to pump the fluid and blood through your body. I am quite concerned however that your pulse reached 150. This is certainly abnormal and can possibly predispose you to develop an abnormal heart rhythm.

I would highly encourage you to discuss this recent episode with your magnesium or potassium in your body. Certain blood pressure medications can also have an influence. I think you should contact your primary care physician for an examination as well as EKG and a consideration to see whether you need any further studies to evaluate your heart.

I hope I have answered your concern adequately. I am available for follow-up questions.