Ask a Dentist   »  

Salivary stone cured using salt water rinse. Have swollen gums with white bumps. Related?

About three weeks ago I had a salivia stone. I rinsed with salt water and the stone came out. For about a week, my gums on the bottom front have been swollen with a white bump. I went to see my periodontist, and he did scrape some on one of my bottom front teeth, but the bumps haven't gotten any better. Is there a relationship between the salivia stone and the bumps on my gums?
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 1 hour later

Salivary stone or sialolith is the occurrence of salivary duct stones in salivary glands and its ducts.

As you described, the salivary stone appeared 3 weeks back has dissolved using salt water rinse.

The bump now appeared on the bottom front teeth can be due to many factors-

1.     Plaque and food debris accumulation due to poor oral hygiene maintenance.

2.     Salivary stone.

3.     Systemic conditions like diabetes, epilepsy, auto-immune diseases resulting in periodontitis.

4. XXXXXXX dental caries progressed into peri-apical area resulting in abscess formation.

Direct clinical examination is mandatory to diagnose whether the bump is associated with salivary stone.

Sialography, i.e., radiological examination of salivary gland ducts will help to rule out the cause.

As you suspect, the bump may have arisen due to salivary stone, but we can confirm that only after undergoing sialography.

Meanwhile, maintain good oral hygiene.

Brush your teeth twice daily using soft inter-dental toothbrush, in back-forth and up-down motion.
Chlorhexidine mouth rinses can be used to gargle.

If the bump is arisen due to XXXXXXX caries or peri-odontitis, the tooth has to be root canal treated and curetted.

Salivary stones, if present, have to be dissolved out.
Also consistency of salivary secretion has to be checked out.
Antibiotics and analgesics have to be administered as per dentist's prescription.

Get your blood sugar level checked to monitor diabetes mellitus.

Hope this suffices.

PLEASE feel free to ask further concerns.