Salivary gland infection, cheek redness. On antibiotics. History of breast cancer. Has it spread to my lymph nodes?

I have had a salivary gland infection for 3 weeks. I have been on antibiotics and am feeling much better but my cheek is still red. I am concerned as I have had inflammatory breast cancer and worry it may have spread to my lymph nodes? My last scans were two months ago and I am NED. I have no pain and feel fine and the GP has said my lymph nodes are completely down and I have had an ultrasound of my salivaary gland , neck etc which was unremarkable. I am wondering why the redness has not completely gone off my cheek. I am now taking a second round of antibiotics.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

First of all let me advise and reassure you that it is highly unlikely that your breast cancer is contributing to the symptoms you have reported. The fact that you have had clear scans and clinical exams which reveal no abnormal swelling of lymph nodes frther supports this.

What you are dealing with is likely a slowly resolving inflammation which was associated with the minor infection you experienced in the salivary gland. These can take a few weeks to completely resolve. I agree with a second round of antibiotics. In addition I suggest that you do your best to hydrate yourself as well as possible to support your immune system. Aso,. get plenty of rest and sleep over the next several days as this is also important to support the immune system.

Again I am very confident that this is not a sign of recurrence of breast cancer.

I thank you again for your query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. Please accept my answer if you have no additional followups.

All the best to you,

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Salivary gland infection, cheek redness. On antibiotics. History of breast cancer. Has it spread to my lymph nodes? 44 hours later
Thank you I guess I am paranoid about why the redness is still on my cheek? Plus if cancer was in my lymph nodes could it cause salivary gland infection?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 hours later
Thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding cancer in lymph nodes, it is extremely unlikely that this would lead to a secondary salivary gland infection. I am convinced that the salivary gland infection that you experienced was random and not necessarily triggered by your previous medical history. I fully understand that you are very sensitive to any subtle changes in your health and this would certainly work to your advantage. I want to reassure you at the same time that what you are dealing with, is isolated and separate from your medical history of cancer.

Again, I feel that the redness will slowly go away over the next few weeks. In the mean time, focus on maintaining good health and a very good and well balanced diet along with adequate rest and exercise.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my responses to be informative and reassuring. Please accept my answer if you have no additional concerns but at the same time. I shall be available for any follow-up queries that you might have.

Dr. Robert