Saliva glands in front of ears and in neck are swollen. Have dry mouth and eyes. Underlying cause?

My saliva glands in front of my ears and in my neck are swollen and I have dry mouth and eyes. Stones have been ruled out.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later

1. Since all the salivary glands are affected (Parotid, sub maxillary and sub mandibular) there is no saliva producing. With the salivary gland I think even your lacrimal gland is also affected, therefore no tears.

2. With your history of hypothyroidism, the glandular involvement may be probably due to auto immune condition. We need to exclude the possibility of Sjogren's syndrome.

3. Therefore your symptoms concerns me. I would order autoantibodies check and neck scanning if you were my patient. Visit a doctor nearby and discuss about these tests.

4. In the meantime, you can use artificial tears for dry eye; avoid direct sun light, don't sit under fan and AC vents directed to your eyes and wear sunglasses.

5. I hope you are not taking and anticholinergic drugs, as they can prevent salivary secretion.

6. Have adequate regular sleep, plenty of fluids, nutritious diet with required calorie and regular exercises for your well-being.

Hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries or doubts and I shall be glad to help you out.