Safe to take prilosec with ranitidine?

Can you take prilosec with ranitidine safely?
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 23 minutes later

Let me explain to you the mechanism of action of each of these drugs so that you understand their uses better.

Prilosec is omeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor directly acting on the acid producing cells in the stomach. It blocks the formation and secretion of stomach acid.

Ranitidine is a H2 blocker. This only blocks the action of already secreted acid but does not prevent the acid formation.

Therefore, Prilosec is more potent antacid than Ranitidine.

If you take Prilosec, there is actually no need to take Ranitidine. So, consider taking Prilosec only and omit Ranitidine.

I hope this is clear to you. If you have doubts you are welcome to ask me further.

Wish you good health.

Good day!
Follow-up: Safe to take prilosec with ranitidine? 6 hours later
Thanks. I will only take the prilosec.
While opening the prilosec tablet it broke in half. Since its a time released product, does this effect its ability to work properly? I took both pieces.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 17 hours later

No, a broken tablet would not serve its purpose especially when it is time-released product.

Please take another fresh tablet of the same.