Safe to take omega 3-6-9 supplement while on Amlopidine Bestylate?

I asked my question and I dont know if it went through. Is it ok to take an omega 3-6-9 supplement while on Amlopidine Bestylate? I normally take it at 11:15am and notice my blood pressure is always higher right before I take it and reduced in the evening. Is that normal? Also if i took it an hour or two earlier, would that matter or do I need to take it at the same time every day?
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir,
1. Amlodipine and omega 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids have no usual or well known interaction as per standard literature. However, practically it is not feasible to predict interactions in a given individual and it is always advisable to see your physician if you see/ feel/ notice anything unusual after starting a new drug.
2. Our blood pressure (BP) is a continuously changing entity. It depends upon the level of physical /mental stress. For example it is much higher with intense exercise but lower during sleep. If it frequently goes beyond the goal BP (140/ 90 mmHg for most patients without diabetes and kidney disease), action is warranted. Fluctuations within goal BP are normal variations.
3. Amlodipine is a long acting drug and has action well beyond 24 hours. Hence a variation in BP before and after the drug is not related to amlodipine.
4. It is advisable to take the medicine at nearly same time in the day, Whatever time you choose. Half to one hour on either side will do for amlodipine but try to be punctual. If you are taking a single dose/ drug, then preferably it should be taken in evening.
5. Try to measure BP in a relaxed state, after sitting calmly for ~5 minutes, must not have taken tea/ smoking for last 1 hour, should not be under stress and preferably at same time of day. This will give us better idea of control of BP.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX