Ask a Homeopath   »  

Safe to take Candistroy(Nature's Secret) homeopathic yeast cleanse product during pregnancy?

Ayurveda Specialist
Question
Candistroy(Nature's Secret) is a homeopathic yeast cleanse product. I've been taking this product for a long time and it really works for me. I am pregnant and the label says not to take it while pregnant, my ob says that it's fine. Is candistroy safe for pregnant women?
I researched all of the ingredients in the two-step candistroy process and none of them appear to have any health risks. Do you agree? Is there a holistic doctor at this site that can shed some more light on this?

Thank you very much, XXXXXXX Parrilli
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Homeopathy

Answered by Dr. Nikul Patel 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

You are a pregnant woman and you were diagnosed with MS ( Multiple Sclerosis as I presume). You also take Candistory (Nature’s Secret). You had mentioned that you have benefits consuming this medicine against the unpleasant effects of MS. Since your OBGYN is your treating physician and has given you permission to take it during pregnancy, I think you should consider it as a safe drug.

Most important question is the quality of life that is affected if you do not take this drug. If this is affected then it is reasonable to continue. Please make sure by consuming this medicine your life has become better and reduced the affects of MS. A general opinion with the doctors is any unnecessary medicine should be avoided during pregnancy. So whether this medicine is unnecessary or necessary can be decided by you alone.

I know you are confused with the label on the bottle. This is so:

The manufacturer's of such products do not take any complaints if a pregnant woman takes it and if any adverse effects arise in those woman. Hence they put a proper DISCLAIMER and this is mandatory protocol given to them by the testing agencies like FDA. These are Over the counter preparations, which can be bought without prescription, so the buyer should take the complete risk. The manufacturer does not take any responsibility if there is a risk arising after taking it.

Second, Pregnancy is a typical condition, where the physiology is different from normal adult in terms of drug metabolism. The complication list of such products are not properly studied. The effect of a drug vary in different pregnant woman and hence caution is be exercised while taking such products which are not tried and tested.

Keeping your benefits in view and your treating OBGYN advice and no robust studies on this product in pregnant woman, I suggest to that take for some days like a week or two and if you do not have any discomfort you can continue on it. At any time if you are not confident about the benefits you can stop consuming this medicine.

Coming to this product, this is a yeast cleanse product, probiotic (adds good bacteria to the gut) and it works by supplementing the benefits during any treatment regimen. It works as an antioxidant. Hence there should be no problem while taken by a normal individual.

Hope this helps you.