Safe to start taking oxyelite powder while on champix?

Hi would like to start taking oxyelite powder but am on champix and XXXXXXX is it safe ?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be on smoking cessation therapy (champix) along with oral contraceptive XXXXXXX

2. If you are gaining weight while on smoking cessation therapy, it is normal and usually requires only dietary modifications and exercises to deal with it.

3. Oral contraceptives do add to weight gain sometimes.

4. Looking at the contents of oxylite powder, it contains 1, 3 dimethylaamylamine. The results of a recent trial in December 2011 indicated that it "may assist in weight and body fat loss in a sample of exercise-trained men and women". Also the other ingredient is caffeine. It also contains some herbal extracts.

5. Though there is no reported interaction of oxylite powder with champix or XXXXXXX I would advise you not to start oxylite powder for smoking cessation induced weight gain.

6. Some ways to minimize weight gain during smoking cessation:
*Have healthy snacks easily available, e.g. carrot or celery sticks in the fridge and plenty of fruit.
*Keep fat and sugar intake low.
*Buy a new healthy cookbook to get inspired on cooking healthy meals.
*Think of other things to do when you crave a cigarette that don’t involve eating, e.g. have a drink of water, telephone a friend, read a magazine.
*Drinking alcohol is often associated with smoking. Avoid or minimize alcohol to help avoid cravings for cigarettes and reduce weight gain.
*Consider starting an exercise programme at the same time as stopping smoking. Check with your doctor first. Find an exercise you like to do and a buddy to do it with and it will be much easier. Think about a goal to get fit for, e.g. a 10km walk.
*Reward yourself for keeping off the cigarettes with non-food rewards – e.g. a facial or a new book after the first week.
*Use the stairs instead of a lift.
*Get off the bus or train a stop early and walk the rest of the way.
*Do usual activities with more energy – e.g. cleaning the house, walking up the stairs.

7. If you are experiencing severe weigh gain, please visit your physician first. Do not self medicate yourself for that.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra