SVT, panic disorder, heart palpitations. abnormal EKG. sinus tachycardia detected. Prognosis of disease ?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
svt and panic disorder my name is XXXXXXX i am a 35 year old female and 5ft6 123 pnds i recently went to the hospital and it began like my body was on fire i assumed a pamic atack when i got there my heart XXXXXXX was 210 but regesterd on the ekg at 150 i thought i was dying i went to the cardiologisy yesturday and he said sinus atchycardia are they treatable can i die from them and are the related to my panic attacks i am scared and what can i do to help i havnt had another episodes for two weeks and it was my only one so far

Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 14 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted down the details and I understand that what you had experienced was very concerning.

Heart rate above 100 is abnormal. EKG helps us classify this abnormality. Accordingly-
1. If it was sinus tachycardia, you do not need to worry at all. It may be related to your anxiety or panic disorder. It is usually harmless, and there is no risk of death.

2. If it were to be on of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia, they can also be easily treated with medicines. Further evaluation such as electrophysiological study are entailed. If medical drugs are ineffective radio-frequency ablation can be done. Very good results and complete cure can be obtained by radio-frequency ablation.

I would like to review your EKG trace to be able to give you more specific answer as to what you may need. You can upload the EKG to this website using the feature available on the right side of this page. Alternative you can send the trace to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me again for any further clarifications.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma

Follow-up: SVT, panic disorder, heart palpitations. abnormal EKG. sinus tachycardia detected. Prognosis of disease ? 40 hours later
this is XXXXXXX again i also get aburning sensatiom through my body it is painful could it be from an acid overload and panic togeatherp

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 13 hours later
Hello again Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

The burning sensation throughout the body is unlikely to be due to your cardiac problem.

You can consider alternate causes like acid peptic disease, myalgia, vitamin deficiencies, anxiety, stress, etc.

This can be treated by your physician after he does a complete physical examination and relevant investigations to pinpoint the cause. The exact treatment would depend on the cause.

I hope this answers your query. Please get back to me if you need any further clarifications.

With regards,

Dr. R.S. Varma.

Follow-up: SVT, panic disorder, heart palpitations. abnormal EKG. sinus tachycardia detected. Prognosis of disease ? 10 hours later
it did i had very low pitassium 2.8 to be exact the night i went into eother sinus or svt the burning sensation staryed prior which could have sent me into a severe panic it was very painful i also have gerd and chiries malformation but you gave me a lead thank you

Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 11 hours later
Hello Ms XXXXXXX
Thank you for the feedback.

Low potassium (hypokalemia) can trigger many arrhythmias including SVT.

The next step should be to diagnose why you had low potassium. Again, there are many reasons for this including increased loss of potassium via urine, stools, vomiting, etc, decreased intake, decreased absorption due to GI problems, drugs, kidney disorders, certain disorders of acid-base metabolism, etc.

In addition to treating hypokalemia, steps should be taken to prevent another occurrence. The nature of such preventive steps will depend totally on the cause of hypokalemia.

Thank you again for the feedback. I wish you all the best for a healthy life.

With regards,
Dr RS Varma