SLE patient. Taking steriods, aspirin and hcqs. Should I go for contraceptive injection for low haemoglobin level?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
I am SLE patient . I am taking steriods and aspirin and hcqs for the past 7 years. My periods is not regular aftermy second delivery family planning done . My second child is five years old . My scan is normal . No problem related to uterus. No fibriod .no cyst.If periods come it bleeds heavily , since my haemoglobin blevel came to 9 one gynecologist advised me to go for contraceptive injection . I took twice after that after six months my periods came . Now wha again due for more than a week but only stomache comes daily. What can I do . My rheumatologist advised not to take oral contraceptive . Can you suggest me any thing
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 59 minutes later
Hello
The condition you are suffering from is called AUB ( abnormal uterine bleeding ) or FUB ( functional uterine bleeding ).
Here, there is no finding on ultrasound or clinical examination, but the patient continues to have irregular bleeding.
The most probable reason would be the regular intake of steroids , aspiring and HCQ, which can lead to irregular menstrual cycles.
For this problem, you would require help of hormonal support which would regulate your cycles.
You can take low dose oral contraceptive pills ( low estrogen ) or progesterone only pills, which will not increase your risk of clotting disorders.
You can even go for the Implanon, which contains progesterone preparation and will not interact with SLE.
IUD like Mirena can be given to you, as long as you are not at high risk for pelvic infections.
Please go through the following link, which will help you understand your options better. The material is for contraception choices, but essentially you require the same kind of preparations for your menstrual problems also.

WWW.WWWW.WW
WWW.WWWW.WW
Please discuss these options with your gynecologist.

All the best, and wish you luck.
Take care, and feel free anytime to discuss further.

Follow-up: SLE patient. Taking steriods, aspirin and hcqs. Should I go for contraceptive injection for low haemoglobin level? 6 minutes later
I frequently get pelvic infection l apply tbact ointment daily . What is implanon any oral tablet . Thanks

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
If you have pelvic infections, you cannot use IUD ( intra uterine devices ).
Implanon is a rod that is implanted under the skin of the forearm, and releases hormones gradually.
Oral pills like Cerazette, Femilon, Loette can be considered after discussing with your gynecologist.
Thanks for the appreciation.
Wish you luck.

Follow-up: SLE patient. Taking steriods, aspirin and hcqs. Should I go for contraceptive injection for low haemoglobin level? 26 minutes later
Since my blood report showed blood clotting my rheumatologist has prescribed aspirin 50mg . Can I take the oral pills mentioned above .can you guide me . For sle dr told some combination as in oral contreceptive injection is good

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 minute later
Yes, injectable contraception is also fine.
But please go through the links I have sent you.
You can take oral contraceptive tablets also.

Follow-up: SLE patient. Taking steriods, aspirin and hcqs. Should I go for contraceptive injection for low haemoglobin level? 32 minutes later
Thanks doctor , I checked the links . I think cerazette only progestrone is fine. How long can I take that . Is it available in India . I shall ask my rheumatologist also . Please suggest. While taking the injection I had severs knee pain .thank you doctor

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Yes, Cerazette would be fine for you.
You can safely take it as long as there is no contraindication.
It is definitely available in India.
You can take it after consultation with your gynecologist and rheumatologist.
The injection would not be responsible for the knee pain, but it can sometimes cause osteoporosis, hence get your calcium and vitamin D levels checked for any deficiency.