SGOT is 52 and SGPT is 63. What are the findings from the liver function test?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
My SGOT is 52 and SGPT 63. I male 62 years old. Is anything serious with me?
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No, nothing is seriously wrong with you.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCare Magic!

You mentioned that your SGOT level is 52 and SGPT level is 63. Although both these levels are slightly higher than normal, they are not significant. If your SGOT and SGPT levels were elevated more than three times above normal, that is, above 120, then they would have indicated a significant abnormality.The mild elevation that was seen in your report is fairly common and in my experience, is often seen in healthy individuals as well. Hence, if you are otherwise healthy, you need not worry at all about these reports and you can repeat them after two to three months.

Your HbA1C level and your fasting blood sugar are also slightly higher than normal. If you are a known diabetic and under treatment, these levels are fine. If you are not a known diabetic, you need to keep a watch and get yourself tested regularly. The abnormality is not significant enough to require treatment at this stage.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry