SGOT is 38 and SGPT is 76. Should I be alarmed?

General Surgeon
I just received results. My SGOT is 38 and SGPT is 76. Should I be alarmed?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: No reason to worry. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your liver tests are only slightly elevated so no need to be concerned. When there is a serious liver problem, liver tests are around 1000. Yours liver tests results are most likely caused by fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol intake. Fatty liver is possible. I suggest you to change your diet, decrease fatty and spicy foods, avoid alcohol. Please ask your doctor to check your cholesterol level. Next liver test should be done after a month. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: SGOT is 38 and SGPT is 76. Should I be alarmed? 1 hour later
What are the normal ranges for sgpt and sgot? thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Depending of the laboratory and method, referential ranges vary, however usually it is 5-40 U/l for both tests. Regards.