SGOT and SGPT levels are high but all test are normal. Cause for elevated level?

Sep 2013

In Lever function test , My sgot and sgpt levels are always high( varies from 50 ~150). for the last 10 years I have been Imonitoring my critical health parameters ( LFT/RENAL/LIPID/Hepatitis b/glucose et)every six months. All parameters are perfect except sgot and sgpt.GGT level is also ok.whenever i undergo a medical test i am always referred to check hepatitis b and its always negetive. what could be the reasons for elevated levels? what tests can help in further probing? probing required or not required
Posted Fri, 8 Jul 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Hello, XXXXX,
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.

It is very nice to see, that you are so health conscious person, very nice.
Every 6 months, routine check up, and results are very fine.
Two elevated level of enzymes are cause of concern.
S G O T ( Now a days we call as aspartate aminotransferase 5-45 U/L)
S G P T ( call as alanine aminotranferase 5-45 U/L)
Since 10 years passed and the level of these two enzymes didn't came down.
So please note down and understand, what is the significance of these two enzymes.
I will try to explain in detail so that you can understand whole thing.
S G OT, S G P T are sensitive indicators of liver cell injury and are most helpful in recognizing acute hepatocellular diseases such as HEPATITIS.
S G O T is found in the LIVER, CARDIAC MUSCLE,SKELETAL MUSCLE,KIDNEY, BRAIN,PANCREAS , LUNGS, LEUCOCYTES ( white cells), ERYTHROCYTES ( red cells) in decreasing order of concentration.
S G P T is found mainly in LIVER.

These enzymes released in the blood when there is damage to liver cell membrane ( mind it I mentioned liver cell membrane not liver cells)
Hence liver cell necrosis ( damage or injury to liver cells due to disease) is not required for release of s g o t , and its increased level.
Any type of liver cell injury ( disease) can cause modest elevations in the S G O T level up to 300 U/ L is NON-SPECIFIC and may be found in any type of liver disorder.
So I think this information will provide you some relief that high level is non -specific, i. e without disease.
Pattern of these two enzymes are very important as S G O T : S G P T >3:1 are suggestive of alcoholic liver disease.
As, for further test, in my opinion, you don't require any test.
No probing. No medicine, if you take alcohol: avoid it, reduce fatty food in excess.
All other tests are normal so no need of any tests.

Hope I have answered your query.
If further any question I will help.
Good luck,