SGOT/SGPT is high. Advised LIV 52. Treatment and advise?

Question
hi doctor,need yr advise iam male indian aged 39 tomorow,my medical result taken on 7/5/12 showing my SGOT reading as 61 IU/L and my SGPT as 91 IU/L,which both is high.i was advised to take LIV 52 to regulate it,need your advise on this pls.thanks doctor.hepatitis screening shows both HBsAg (EIA) and Anti-HBs (EIA) as negative.pls advise.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT) are sensitive indicators of liver damage or injury from different types of diseases. But it must be emphasized that higher-than-normal levels of these liver enzymes should not be automatically equated with liver disease. They may mean liver problems or they may not. 
Mild to moderate elevations of the liver enzymes are common. They are often unexpectedly encountered on routine blood screening tests in otherwise healthy individuals.  One of the most common cause of mild to moderate elevations of these liver tests is a condition referred to as fatty liver which is generally caused by alcohol abuse.  Other causes of fatty liver include diabetes mellitus,high triglycerides,obesity.
Chronic hepatitis B and hepatitis C is a cause of chronic mild to moderate liver enzyme elevations.

Some medications can cause mild to moderate increase in the liver enzymes like anti lipids,antibiotics,pain killers herbal medicines etc.

In your case the most likely cause looks to be your high sugar levels as you have levels of 120 mg in fasting.
Get yourself tested for PP sugar also along with lipid profile.
I advise you for
Control of blood sugar levels
Quitting alcohol,if taking 
Avoiding junk foods,sweets and colas
Doing regular exercises.

Repeat your liver tests again after three months.
Your liver enzymes shall become normal.
However if they don't become normal even after lifestyle changes and control of blood sugar,you must consult a Gastroenterologist and get yourself evaluated completely.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Thanks

Follow-up: SGOT/SGPT is high. Advised LIV 52. Treatment and advise? 10 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
thanks for your reply.can i check with you on LIV 52 its a himalaya product,can i continue to take this supplement or you would like to suggest anything else.pls advise...thanks

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello
Medicines like LIV 52have no role.
What matters is exercises,reduction of calories and reduction of weight.
There are no specific medicines for this problem.
Thanks.

Follow-up: SGOT/SGPT is high. Advised LIV 52. Treatment and advise? 7 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX
thanks alot for yr reply.Ive started exercise abt 3 weeks ago by doing brisk walking for abt 1hrs on 2 days in a week,you think it is sufficient?cam you suggest the best way to control the diabetes? im taking metformin twice daily thats is 500mg daily..pls advise doctor.thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 30 minutes later
Hello
The amount of exercises ,which you are doing,is less.
You must do at least 45 minutes of brisk walking for 6 days a week.
Diet,regular exercises and medication are the ultimate cornerstones of treatment of diabetes.
Thanks