S1 and L5 nerves of leg are not performing properly .What is meant by the S1 and L5 nerves?

What is meant by the S1 and L5 nerves in the legs? My partner has been told that the S1 and L5 nerves of her left leg and the S1 nerve in her right leg are not performing properly. What do these nerves actually do and is there a layman's name for them?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later

Thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about what your partner has been going through and the recent diagnosis of L5S1 nerve problems. I hope we get to find out the cause and propose long lasting solutions to this.

L5S1 are nerve roots which exit the spinal cord from from the vertebral column. The two merge along others to for the sciatic nerve which is responsible for the innervation of the lower limbs to a greater extend. As they exit through the vertebral column, they may be compressed and results in symptoms.

Pressure either acute of chronic can cause pain, muscle weakness of the lower limbs, foot drop, abnormal sensations, increased painful sensation etc. In extreme and longstanding cases, the muscles of the lower limbs can result in wasting of the muscles of the lower leg as a result of a loss of normal stimulatory input to the muscle fibers.

Unfortunately, there is no layman's name for it. Maybe grossly referring to it as the supplier of nerves to the lower limbs, though grossly not exact, transmits the message better.

Hope this addresses your query fully. If you have further related questions, please feel free to address them. Regards to your husband and wish him a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah, MD.