Runny nose with clear liquid, tingling on one side post surgery for broken nose. Is this normal?

Pediatrician
Question
Hello. Last Saturday I got a hit on my face and broke my nose. It crooked slightly and I was severely bleeding.
I went to a doctor and he suggested me to get a broken nose surgery. I also got a CT scan.
I had my nose surgery on this Tuesday and everything went well.
Though no pain, I am having a runny nose, which a clear liquid coming out of my nose. After the surgery I had some nosebleed but stopped. I also have a weird tingly sensation on my left side of my nose, and the clear liquid is coming out of my nose consistently. Is it normal procedure of healing?

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.
I understand your concern.
Do not panic.
I think everything is going well.You can use a mild nasal decongestant to stop the liquid.
This maybe due to localized congestion after surgery.
But if the nasal discharge increases,local swelling increases or you start having fever then consult your surgeon immediately.
Hope this answers your query.
If you have any other queries kindly direct them to me.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.

Follow-up: Runny nose with clear liquid, tingling on one side post surgery for broken nose. Is this normal? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.
The thing that concerned me the most was that it was not sticky like a normal drainage. Whenever I bend down my head, it just slowly dripped out of my nose. It was not like nasal congestion at all. But not it has gotten much less.
Is there any possibility that it is a cerebrospinal fluid leakage?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 5 minutes later
You are quite knowledgeable.However nasal surgery that too a broken nose rarely causes CSF leakage.
CSF leakage can only be diagnosed by biochemical analysis.If you suspect it then immediately consult your surgeon because there is a chance of meningitis if the fluid gets contaminated.
Hope nothing happens and you recover fast.
Bye