Runny nose, difficulty in breathing. Tried saline spray, humidifiers. Give him Childrens Claritin? Dosage?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 10 month old son (26 lbs!) has a horrible runny nose and cant sleep due to breathing difficulty. I have propped his crib up, tried saline sprays, humidifiers, etc. Would it be safe to give him Childrens Claritin (loratadine oral solution/antihistamine) before bed? If so what dose would be accurate??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 45 minutes later
Hello ,
CLARITIN or loratidine is indicated for the relief of nasal and non-nasal symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis in patients 2 years of age or older.Its safety and efficacy in infants (<1 yr)has not been established hence its not recommended to be used in infants.
The dosage for children is based on age not weight , for above 2 yrs usual dosage is 5 mg once daily .
Another routinely recommended alternative in infants is chlorpheniramine, though its use is also best avoided in infants.
In general, chlorpheniramine can be dosed by age or by weight for children. Based on weight, a standard recommended dose is 0.35 mg per kg per day (0.16 mg per pound per day), divided into smaller doses given every four to six hours.
Since all anti histaminics or cold remedies are ideally contraindicated and best avoided in infants its better to avoid self medication and consult his pediatrician for thorough evaluation and appropriate management.
I understand your concern and appreciate your efforts as a vigilant parent.
Please do understand that sometimes medications are much more harmful than minor illnesses or disturbing symptoms.
Do keep up the good work of maintaining the childs hydration by giving plenty of fluids and the surrounding humidity .Also you may use steam inhalations for temporary relief.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your son a speedy recovery.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 minute later

Thank you for your query.

1. You may give him 2 ml of Syrup Claritin (loratidine) once a day. A better option will be Cetrizine 2 ml once a day. Cetrizine is approved for use beyond 6 months of age.

2. You may also instill 2-3 drops of Otrivin Paediatric (Xylometazoline) nasal drops in both nostrils for a couple of nights only.

3. Get a pediatrician's opinion for other supportive medication and treatment soon and be alert for side effects.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.