Running on and off low grade fever and losing weight. Am I having any infection?

Aug 2012

I'm a 22 yr old 5' 9'' female and I'm wondering if i can get some answers or possibilities as to what i could have before I see a doctor in person.

I've been running an on and off low grade fever (99-99.4) for more than a week now (could be longer), I just happen to notice when i was laying down and i felt my forehead rather hot then i noticed not only was my head hot but my body as well and that was just it! That took me by surprise because I wasn't feeling sick, no runny nose or anything. The next day i woke up fine with just a slight fever but once at work my head felt heavy and i started to feel sick. I took a paracetamol which usually works for me but that didn't help. Later on that day i felt good and just thought i might be getting the flu but my symptoms have been going on for more than a week, everyday the same thing, I'd be fine one minute then the next I'm feeling sick again. What could this be?

Other facts that's been going on is that I've lost a total of 20lbs (I was 160 now at 140lbs) surprisingly fast within a month but I say it's odd because i haven't changed my diet and I've recently been going to the gym (aerobics), for the first two weeks i was going 4 days a week then just once or twice a week since then. Also I've had a yeast infection that's been irritating me on and off for about a month and I've just found i have a bump on the inside crease of my lips (close to the clitoris) and it's painful when i try to squeeze it and itchy at the same time. Could i have an infection and that's what causing me to feel sick?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 1 hour later
Hi there.

The feverish feeling where your body temperature did not go more than 100, your unintentional weight loss in a short span of time, fungal infection in the genitalia suggest you should rule out a few conditions. Hence you might like to get your blood tests done before you see your doctor in person. The tests are fasting and post-prandial sugars, TSH, FT4, hemoglobin, Total WBC count, Differential count.
Do you also feel hungry most of the times?
Do you drink lots of water and hence urinate frequently?
Do you have sweaty palms and feeling of your heart running fast?
Did you ever have unprotected sex?
The bump close to the clitoris mostly is part of the itching happened due to the yeast infection or other sexually transmitted infection. The yeast infection in young women is common when their sugars are high or if they have had unprotected sex.
The temperature on the rise but not in 'fever range' (i.e. more than 100) happens when you are close to your ovulation and menstruation period. But if it is persistently like this then might be because your thyroid is hyperfunctioning. So please get these tests done and get back to me.
Follow-up: Running on and off low grade fever and losing weight. Am I having any infection? 2 hours later
Thanks for you reply.

To answer your questions; i eat at adequate times, breakfast, lunch and most of the times dinner so I can't say I'm always hungry. The times I don't eat for dinner are because if i eat a rather big meal for lunch i won't be hungry for the rest of the day until the next morning due to slow metabolism and/or acid reflux won't let me eat.

I've never tried per say to drink enough water per day but i do urinate often through out the day most of the times.

No sweaty palms but I have re-occurring palpitations that lasts up to two (2) weeks at a time (5-10 times a day for couple seconds).

I've recently had unprotected sex but my partner had all his tests done and he is clean before we tried this.

In regards to my thyroid being a possible problem makes me think that this could be true because I've heard this can be a possibility more than once before but never got it checked.

I've made an appointment with the doctor tomorrow so I'd be able to let you know they said.

Thanks again for your time.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 6 hours later
Good, do let me know. All the best.