Running on a treadmill, does walking, jogging, yoga. What precautions should I take while using treadmill?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i run on treadmill...just want to ask that should i use knee caps or what precautions i can take so that i do not injur myself. Though i am quite regular on exercises like yoga, treadmill walking and jogging etc.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Running on a treadmill, does walking, jogging, yoga. What precautions should I take while using treadmill? 0 minute later
sorry wrong specialist was selected.i wanted to select ortho...
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your question.

Since you mentioned that you run on treadmill, I suppose you are familiar with its control Panel, preset or manual workout selections, start and stop buttons, speed and incline adjustments and body weight input. Once this basic is known, you may focus on your physical precautions.

I hope you started with initial warm up and walking (at an average 2-3mph) before running on treadmill. That is a crucial precaution. Always start by walking at a slow comfortable pace, keep your head up, and stay centered in the middle of the belt (not too far forward or back). If your machine has preset program, it will take you through all the phases of warm up, exercise and cool down.

Once you are comfortable walking, you can start jogging and then running on the treadmill. This takes some practice. The precaution you must take here is proper jogging suit and running shoes. Once you are running, don't hold on to the handles while walking or running. By doing so, you compromise posture and body mechanics and risk muscle strain.

Using knee caps or braces is not recommended unless you have a previous known abnormality. The abnormalities like swelling, deformity or ligament laxity which creates an anxiety or apprehension of falling down or buckling of knee, only then one needs to use it. Otherwise, you should focus primarily on the aforesaid precautions.

Danger signs that one should remember is sharp pain in knee or ankle, swelling in knee / ankle, pain in hip radiating down to legs or back ache. If you experience any of these, seek medical attention at earliest and discontinue treadmill till you see an instructor in person.

Hope this answer was informative. If you have anything more to ask about your knees, please get back to me. I'm available for follow up.