Running high temperature which is intermittent. What can be done?

running high temperature which is intermittent

loss of appetite and next day fever, remission by paracetamol but again fever came back after 10 hours or so of taking paracetamol, that was around 10 in the morning, by evening 7 pm the same day high fever and remission once again by paracetamol, continued loss of appetite and no stool, urine yellowish (though water intake is not as usual, rather low), what all blood tests should be performed and the likely cause of high temperature.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what you are experiencing.

The most likely cause of your symptoms would be some type of virus. There are many types of viruses which can cause fever including influenza. usually good supportive measures will help your body slowly recover from this illness. It is extremely portent that you focus on good fluid hydration and maintain adequate intake of both water and nutrients. if you become somewhat dehydrated this can contribute to persistent weakness.

Regarding blood tests I don't think any blood tests need to be performed right now. If your symptoms persist beyond five or six days or if you develop other worrisome symptoms such as shaking chills or uncontrolled nausea or vomiting then I would consider a formal evaluation.

Also if you are having symptoms such as painful urination or burning with urination this is something that should be investigated. Sometimes a Tylenol. I would continue using this every 4 to 6 hours along with excellent hydration. I would expect that your immune system will slowly recover within 48 hours.

If your symptoms persist beyond to were three days I think you should consider talking to your complete blood count and a comprehensive metabolic panel to evaluate your immune system as well as your kidney and liver function. Right now it is most important to focus on supporting yourself.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert