Runner has back of the knee pain. Is it IIliotibial band syndrome?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a runner, and recently started to have pain in the back of my knee. It is the band on the outside of my leg (IBTS?). It does not hurt at all to run, but if I sit down on my leg, cross my leg or anything that places pressure it hurts like hell! Any help would be great. I do ice baths, hot baths with epson salt, stretch etc.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

1. Pain in backside & outer aspect of the knee, more during bending the knee above 90 degrees / squatting / sitting cross legged, can be due lateral meniscal injury or lateral collateral ligament strain or Ilio-tibial band syndrome.

2. For Ilio-tibial band syndrome, ultrasound over the site or local steroid injection can be effective in long standing cases, which has failed to physiotherapy like ice, stretching etc. Sometime tapping can also be useful. Any deformity in your foot / bowing of knee etc, if at all present, which stretches the IT band, needs to be corrected by modified foot wears.

3. It can be also due to meniscal or ligamentous injury. It requires adequate rest for 3 weeks in knee brace with mobilization after 3 weeks.

4. So, I would advise you to get examined by your orthopaedician to find out the exact site of pain / cause and proceed accordingly. Your doctor might also order for an X-ray or MRI of your knee to rule-out other possibilities.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask for any further clarifications.

Get well soon,