Rumbling sensation in chest, no pain, feels like congestion, done EKG, X-ray. What is going on?

Yes, I have been having a rumbling sensation in my chest. I went to the emergency room on Wednesday night. It feels like my heart was racing but after being checked it was not. It was normal. They also did EKG and X-ray. All appeared to be normal. It really is bothing me alot. I followered up with my doctor who put me on Metoprolce Tartrate 50 MG. This seems to help a little at first but tonight it is doing nothing. I am not having any pain. Feels like a real bad congestion. Sometimes it make me have light coughing. In 2007 I had cervical fusion which still causes me a lot of pain and headaches. Even down into my shoulders and up behind my ears. I am now in tears because i don't know what is going on. In 2009 I witness my husband passing away with a heart attack and I don't want this to happen to me. By the way I am also a diabetic This condition causes me to have shortness of breath also. I am 57.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

A rumbling sensation in the chest with normal EKG and X-ray but not controlled by Metoprolol with a history of diabetes needs a complete cardiac evaluation.

Your description is not suggestive of heart attack. Though, I suggest you to get complete cardiac profile / evaluation. Discuss with your primary doctor / cardiologist who may advice you the following test:
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)

If cardiac causes are excluded then your symptoms might be due to panic or hyperthyroidism. This can also present with chest pain, breathlessness and other generalized symptoms. This condition can also be confused with cardiac problems.

It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.