Rumbling feeling of the heart while lying down, chest tightness. No history of heart diseases. Advice?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am healthy 63 year old female. Non smoker/ drinking 3 times a week/ odd Gin/ toninc or glass of wine. Healthy eater/ good diet. Lately my heart feels as if it bubbling/rumbling when I lie down doing nothing..not when I am up and about....Sometimes a little tight in the chest/ but not severe. No cardiac disease in my family. Healthy back ground. parents lived to over 85/94.
I am a pilates instructor and I dont feel this rumbling when I exercise or am up and about. My B/P is very normal. Low. 175/77..or thereabouts. I have just had a colonoscopy. Good results. What is this rumbling/feeling, as if heart is bubbling slightly??? But only when I half sit/relax or lying down to sleep. It started 4 weeks ago...
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 15 hours later

I suspect the possibility of palpitations, but I can not be very sure as I lack the opportunity of clinical examination. If it is not related to the activity, it is less likely to be cardiac symptoms. However, some cardiac problems such valve leak (aortic regurgiatation) can ocassionally present with these kind of symptoms.

I will suggest you to have echocardiogram, ECG (Electrocardiogram) and clinical examinations and if your physician feels necessary after examination, a thyroid function test and treadmill test can also be ordered.

Once the cause is confirmed, treatment will follow accordingly.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.