Rub hair and scalp after shower to apply hair tonic using fingers. Will cause the brain cells to die?

Nov 2013

I read on the internet that shaking your head rapidly causes the axons to tear apart hence brain cell death. I shower every day. When I get out of shower I rub my hair and my scalp using my fingers in order to apply a hair tonic. I am rubbing my scalp using my fingers in order cause friction. When doing this process my head kind of shakes and vibrates. Am I killing brains cells by doing this process. I am ultimately worried. Thank you for your time and answer.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are not causing any nerve damage.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I wish to reassure you that you are not causing any nerve damage of your brain cells and neurons, by causing vibration and shaking of head.

What you referred to on the Internet refers to violent shaking as would occur in accidents or head injuries. Also, nerve damage can occur in very small babies, when their heads are shaken, called as shaken baby syndrome.

In summary, you can enjoy your shower and oil massage, etc without worrying about nerve damage.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist