Ask a Urologist   »  

Routine urine analysis done. Have had itching when passing urine and back pain. Any advice?

Hi, my routine urine analysis report shows appearance: Turbid, Protein: Trace, Epithelial cells 4-6/hpf and pus cells 6-8/hpf, specific gravity 1.02 and PH 6.0. I have had itching when passing urine and back pain. How do I interpret these test results?
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 56 minutes later
There is a possibility of you harbouring a urinary tract infection if you have pus cells in urine when you have urinary voiding symptoms.
The one good way of knowing whether you have an infection or not is by getting a urine culture and sensitivity. the report takes 48 to 72 hours , following which we will be in a better position to assess if you indeed have infection or if the pus cells are the result of some other inflammation.
You also might benefit from getting an ultrasound examination of kidneys and bladder region, especially considering you have back pain.
Most young ladies will be able to get rid of an uncomplicated urinary infection without too much trouble, but the important issue will be in making sure that it does not recur again. ensure good fluid intake, and take care to complete a full prescribed course of antibiotics.
Hope this has been of help.
Regards and best wishes.