Routine blood tests done. What are the findings in the report and required treatment?

Hi. My wife got routine blood tests done recently as part of a wellness exam. Her globulin was low (1.8 and it says normal ranges from 1.9-3.7) and her albumin/globulin ration was a bit high (2.7 and it says normal ranges from 1.0-2.5). She's an RN and decided to google the results and many pages mention serious illnesses and diseases. We are waiting to hear from her doctor now but should we be concerned?
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
There is marginal decrease in globulin level. That's why A/G ratio is marginally elevated ( mathematical calculation).
You are partially correct regarding the cause of these ratio. There are multiple causes ,some are benign and some are serious. This condition is seen due to presence of some genetic hypothyroidism, high protein/high carbohydrate diet, Glucocorticoid excess, low levels of globulin (hypogammaglobulinemia).
But the level is very marginally elevated which is less likely due to serious issue. Your wife is RN with significant work load. It may be reason for excess glucocorticoid in body to handle stress.
You may need to check dietary habit of carbohydrate and also thyroid hormonal level. In summary I think the report is slightly abnormal but it not too serious to worry about. It will be better to have opinion of your physician Regarding same. Further investigation and management will be decided on clinical examination.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.