Round itchy dry grey spots that itch. Spreading across upper back, thighs, buttocks. Solution?

Question
I am an 88 y.o. Black male. I have round itchy dry grey spots on my skin that are itchy and they are spreading across my upper back, thighs, buttocks. What can be done?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Dry Skin

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From the information you submitted I suspect that you are dealing with a 'mild fungal infection'. Along with the fungal infection there can sometimes be some inflammation which causes itching and peeling of the skin.

Generally, the best way to treat this is with a topical cream which has both a mild steroid element and an antifungal cream. The active ingredients of this cream include hydrocortisone and the antifungal clotrimazole. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a prescription for this. The brand name of the cream is Lotrisone.

I would expect the areas of irritation to slowly respond and improve over two to three weeks.

A physical examination of the affected skin, evaluation of skin scrapings under the microscope, and culture tests can help doctors make the appropriate distinctions.

In case over the counter preparations do not stop the further spread I recommend you to consult your dermatologist for stronger prescription medicines.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Round itchy dry grey spots that itch. Spreading across upper back, thighs, buttocks. Solution? 4 hours later
Dear Dr. Tyal:
Thank you for your response. It is most appreciated.
The onset of this condition appears to have coincided with a change in the detergent that I use to launder my clothing.
Could there be a co-relation?

K. B. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Change in detergent can cause an allergic response. The skin lesions in such case are not likely to spread gradually. Still in both the cases the above mentioned ointment should provide you the desired relief.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.