Rough sex, penis pulled, pain in testicular area. Checked for hernia. What could be the cause?

Question
i had rough sex a couple of weeks ago, i think my penis might have gotten pulled to hard, a couple of days later, felt some pain in my testicular area, my penis is ok, no problem with erection.. i feel like i pulled something aching pain also in lower abd, went to doctor a couple of days ago to check for hernia, but nothing. what could it be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Testicle Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern. It is true that inguinal hernia can cause testicular pain radiating to the abdomen. It's good that it was ruled out in your case.

Other possibilities that are to be considered are:

1) Epididymitis which is swelling (inflammation) of the epididymis - the tube that connects the testicle with the vas deferens. Testicles may sometime get involved leading to orchitis.

2) The second possibility for such kind of symptoms is of kidney stones which may present as sharp pain radiating to the back and radiating to the testicles as well.

Both these condition may be precipitated by an infection following sexual intercourse. Hence you need to get an evaluation from a urologist and a few investigations done. These include complete blood count, Doppler ultrasound of the testis, ultrasound abdomen and STD screening.

Till that time, try the following treatment options:

1) Apply cold compresses on the testicle and take an oral anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food for few days. This will reduce the swelling inside.
2) Secondly, avoid lifting heavy weights till you are completely fine, try to maintain a healthy weight, quit smoking (if any) and eat high-fiber foods.
3) Also place a rolled towel under your scrotum when you lie down or wear athletic support instead of boxers.
4) Avoid having rough intercourse till the symptoms resolve.
5) Drink plenty of water. This helps in recovery.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery