Rough and itchy for a long time. What could it be?

Dermatologist
Question
Can you tell what this is. It is rough itchy and has been there for a long time.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, Thanks for the query and the photographs. Its looking like psoriasis. Scaly red plaques for years is a classic presentation of this disease. I want to know few more things. 1. Do you have any other skin lesions ? 2. Any one from family having similar or any other skin disease? 3. Do you have any thyroid problem? 4. Does this skin condition aggravate in winters? Please answer the above questions, this will help me in giving a closer diagnosis. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query and the photographs. Its looking like psoriasis. Scaly red plaques for years is a classic presentation of this disease. I want to know few more things.
1. Do you have any other skin lesions ?
2. Any one from family having similar or any other skin disease?
3. Do you have any thyroid problem?
4. Does this skin condition aggravate in winters?
Please answer the above questions, this will help me in giving a closer diagnosis. Waiting for your response. Thank you

Follow-up: Rough and itchy for a long time. What could it be? 6 hours later
Thank you so much for helping me with this Doctor.

There some lesions on my XXXXXXX I had them on both sides but I started applying a fungal cream and one side went away. I still have the lesion on one of my shins now.

I am not aware of other family members with skin disease

I don't know but I do have some hair loss

Not sure. I don't think I had it for a year. Maybe 6 months.

I went to the doctor about this and he said it was fungus. I received a cream but it does not go away.

Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
psoriasis, clobetasol, response in a week.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
Presence of lesion on XXXXXXX is enough for me to diagnose it as psoriasis.
You dont need to apply anti fungal creams it is not a fungal infection.

Apply oint clobetasol daily once in night for a week.
Let me know the response, I can guide you further after this.

This ointment will definitely give you result, but it cannot be used for prolonged period.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

Thank you

Follow-up: Rough and itchy for a long time. What could it be? 21 minutes later
thank you for your answer doctor. Would using the cream increase a chance of birth defects when i decide to get pregnant. or will it be fine if i stop using the cream and decide to have a baby later down the road. i just googled the cream and it states that it should not be used by women who are pregnant or expecting to be pregnant soon. thank you agon doctor

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, clobetasol is just a strong steroid. It has no contraindications in pregnancy. You can use it safely until you plan for pregnancy. Feel free to ask any other doubt. Thank you

Detailed Answer:
clobetasol is just a strong steroid. It has no contraindications in pregnancy. You can use it safely until you plan for pregnancy. Feel free to ask any other doubt. Thank you

Follow-up: Rough and itchy for a long time. What could it be? 2 days later
Thank you very much for your help Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome