Rotten smelling vaginal discharge. How do I get rid of it?

I Have a horrible discharging smell it smells rottin. How can I get rid of it?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you.

Here are the possibilities:

1. A vaginal infection called "BV" which stands for bacterial vaginosis - it is common and associated with a fishy / foul odor.
2. Retained tissue or tampons are associated with an extremely bad odor

In either case, you will need either a prescription or exam by your OB/GYN. For BV, the usual treatment is a medication called Metronidazole given as a vaginal cream or a pill. If the smell is extremely bad, an exam with your doctor is indicated before proceeding with treatment over the phone.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please ask!