Rotten meat smell. What could this be?

Yes.... I am extemely concerned. My husband smells like rotted meat and I am unable to sleep in the same bed with him. After he leaves for work the stench is inprinted in the air and in the sheets. What in the world could this be? I have not approached him with it yet as he has a quick temper and would take it very personally. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Body odor is also known as Bromhidrosis. Normally the sweat is odorless but due to the action of Bacteria it produces an unpleasant smell.
Unhealthy personal hygiene, fungal infections, over weight, eating spicy foods and Diabetes are found to be responsible in most cases. The underlying cause needs to be identified first and in your husband’s case it can be due to diabetes.

Diabetic people are more prone to get skin fungal infections and gum infections. Gum infections can in turn produce bad breath or halitosis which can also have bad smell. First of all, he should get his blood sugar level estimated and also get a dental checkup done to rule out any gingivitis.

Follow the following measures for getting rid of the bad odor:

1)     Have a healthy and nutritious diet and maintain good personal hygiene.

2)     Add few drops of savlon to the water he uses for bathing.

3)     Ask him to use an antiperspirant deodorant and wash his clothes in warm water.
4)     Also ask him to clean the tongue with tongue cleaner and use a mouth wash with mint.

5)     The skin infection is most likely pityriasis versicolor which is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities.Treatment involves topical and oral antifungal medicines for the prescription of which he should consult a dermatologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.