Rotator cuff surgery done. How long it takes to get relief from pain?

how long can I expect pain to last after my rotator cuff surgery, assuming everything heals properly. Thank You!
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
It's difficult to say exactly when you will start to get relief because everyone's surgery is different and everyone's response is different as well. But the more you  try to relax and more properly if you are able to sleep  in the night in the semi upright position quicker will be your healing time. 
Proper icing of the shoulder and proper anti inflammatory pain medications are must in initial period of few days after the surgery.

There are four phases of recovery after surgery which are 
Passive motion
Active motion
Strengthening and
Full activity.

Since it is your second surgery,you must be having pretty decent idea about the pain following the surgery.

It is in strengthening phase that you start getting pain again as your muscles of rotator cuff are weak .
It's completely normal to have pain with stretching for a good 12-18 weeks after surgery. 

Full recovery after rotator cuff surgery often takes 4 to 6 months and in some cases longer. The critical factors that determine the length of the recovery are the size of the rotator cuff tear, the ability to adequately repair the tendons, and the commitment to rehabilitation.
Knowing when to progress from one phase of rehab to the next is an art. Not all people will progress through rehab in the same way, and each individual must adhere to their prescribed rehab protocol. 

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck