Root canal treatment done. Noticed blood while gargling. Had unprotected sex. Chances of HIV?

Hello Doctor I would like to throw light on a High Risk Exposure 6 days where i visited a brothel in Mumbai just after visiting my dentist.
The dentist had broke open my old Cap of the front Tooth and did some makeover to the original tooth and placed a temporary cap on it but while he was drilling my root canal and me sitting on the Chair i noticed blood while gargling at his clinic and later he built up a Temporary Cap and i left.
Later i couldn't see any visible Blood from my Gums and visited the Brothel 1.5 hours after leaving the Clinic.
I had performed Oral Sex (Cunnilingus) on the Sex Worker vigorously and she gave me blowjob (both Unprotected) and i think that she was not menstruating at that time later i had protected vaginal intercourse with her.

Later next day i realised that what a foolish act i have done which puts me at risk.
My question is that am i vunerable to HIV infection in this way that i had visited the dentist this is driving me crazy please help
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
HIV spreads through vaginal/ anal intercourse, injections, from mother to baby during delivery and less frequently through oral sex. Though oral sex is less risky but chances of acquiring HIV or any other STD is always there. HIV is present in vaginal fluid, semen and blood.

If a female receiving oral sex has HIV,her blood or vaginal fluid may contain the virus. Cells lining the oral cavity of the person performing oral sex may allow HIV to enter their body.

The risk of HIV transmission in such cases increases
if the person performing oral sex has cuts, erosions or ulcers in oral cavity
if the person receiving oral sex has another sexually transmitted disease
if the person receiving oral sex ejaculates in the mouth of the person performing oral sex.

Now if we consider your case specifically, you had undergone a dental procedure which is bound to make abrasions or erosions in gums. The girl with whom you got involved was not menstruating hence there was no exposure of blood but exposure of vaginal fluid was there as the whole activity was unprotected. So though oral sex is less risky mode of transmission, you are still at a risk to get any STD from the lady provided she was having HIV or any other STD.

Hope that answers your query.
Follow-up: Root canal treatment done. Noticed blood while gargling. Had unprotected sex. Chances of HIV? 5 minutes later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your reply i have given my blood sample for P24 Antigen Testing and Dna Pcr test at the 7th Day so can you please tell me that how effective and conclusive are both of these tests.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 4 hours later
P24 antigen test and DNA PCR is done to detect HIV infection at an early stage. P24 antigen test is done to detect a viral capsid protein p24 while DNA PCR detects the viral genome or its DNA.
DNA PCR is a highly sensitive test and detects presence of HIV even when virus load is low. If DNA PCR is being done there is no requirement for P24 antigen. If DNA PCR is positive it means that your body has been exposed to the virus.

Right now I would advise that you wait for the results. If married kindly abstain from intercourse with wife. There is no point getting involved with a person whose status for STD is not known. It is always better to practise safe sex.