Ask a Dentist   »  

Root canal done to upper left teeth. Experiencing pain and temperature extremes. Xray showing infection in base. Advise?

My #14 tooth upper left had a root canal done on it and a crown in 2009. I always felt that the crown was not set even. I have been pulling food from between #15 & #14 every since. Now i am experiencing pain to temperature extremes. X-rays showed some infection near the base of the root. The crown has a screw that you can see on an x-ray that sets it. My regular dentist is referring me to an oral surgeon to do the extraction. I have to admit, I haven't had a tooth pulled in 20 years. Is this necessary? Last time I had an extraction done it was done by my regular dentist. Feels like I'm being set up for a BIG XXXXXXX Please advise. Thanks
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Needs treatment

Detailed Answer:
I would like you to know that if the tooth is infected following root canal treatment, the first line of treatment is antibiotics followed by a re-RCT.
However, if the infection is severe and involves the root and surrounding bone of the tooth, then it is always better to extract the tooth rather than operating it.
I will recommend you to take a second opinion from an endodontist before going for an extraction. If extraction is needed, then be sure to see an oral surgeon.
Do not worry; you will be fine.
If you have any further questions, feel free to write back.
I hope i answered your query.
I wish you good health.