Ask a Dentist   »  

Root canal done. Having sore throat and swallowing difficulty. Should I be worried?

Critical Care Specialist
I feel like I have a sore throat after my root canal. Is this normal? My neck hurts and it is painful to swallow.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 25 minutes later
Most probably you have developed pharyngitis(infection of pharynx) secondary to root canal treatment. It could be either due to limited allergic reaction to material used for root canal treatment with super added infection or dislodgement of infective focus from tooth during treatment and subsequent involvement of pharynx.Painful swallowing and pain in neck could be due to pharyngitis. This is not a normal consequence of the procedure. I would suggest you to re-visit your Dentist or consult an ENT surgeon who may examine you and prescribe you appropriate treatment. You may need a course of antibiotic and antihistaminics.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries
Dr Sadiq